Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

leonafisher9
Administrator
Hello All,

I thought having a forum to post the great assignments and ideas you've all been working on would be a good idea. Feel free to start other threads, ask questions you've got...whatever. I can't promise that I'm going to be a good forum moderator, though, and I think it probably goes without saying that we should keep things positive and constructive here.

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

robnazar
Here are some reading strategies in "Snoopy" form

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

patmaio
Building vocabulary
For every essay reading in the textbook, the student should write down three words on three index cards. So if four profile essays are read in the St. Martin’s Guide to Writing, then there would be 12 index cards. On one side of the index card, the student writes down the word, which essay the word came from, the sentence where the word was used in the essay, and the page number.  On the back of the card, student should indicate the word’s part of speech / variations, and definition.
(Front of index card)
                                Word (visual optional)
Name of essay; include the sentence from the reading in the textbook that the word came from; page number where the word was found.

(Back of index card)
Part of speech / variations
Definition

After student completes the readings, the index cards are submitted to the teacher. Teacher records completion of this portion of the assignment. For every essay, student will be required to use five of the new words in their essay writing. Lastly, the student should staple the five index cards to the essay.

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

natalie.cook
Front-loading Rhetorical Terms: Group activity using an infomercial advertisement

Directions and materials are on the document.

infomercial_.docx

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

Meg O'Rourke
Hello! Here's the Expository Reading and Writing Course (ERWC) template.  It shows how the reading-writing process can be one seamless process and gives ideas for each stage of the process.  The ERWC offers FREE 3-day workshops (with free food and materials!) as well.  ERWC website: http://www.calstate.edu/eap/englishcourse/overview.shtml

ERWC_Assignment_Template.pdf

Using Readings to Launch Class Discussion and an Essay Assignment

Randee Cowles
I plan on using a few readings from the textbook Everything's an Argument to launch class discussions and an essay assignment. These readings are in a unit entitled "How Does Popular Culture Stereotype You?" To begin with, I will introduce the concept of stereotyping to the class.  I will then have the class answer a few pre-reading questions about the topic; these questions will encourage students to think about their own definitions of stereotyping, how they have been stereotyped, and how popular culture, the media, contributes to creating and maintaining stereotypes.  We will then discuss these topics in class. Students will then read the assigned readings for homework and write down their thoughts on the readings. We will then discuss the student comments and readings in class, focusing on examples from the texts and  student comments. We will also look at any examples from the media that portray a stereotype. This usually involves looking at a commercial on Youtube. After our discussion, I will handout and review the essay assignment. For this essay assignment, students will need to interview a friend or family member with the goal of finding out how popular culture steretypes them. In their essay, students will need to discuss the ways the interviewee is stereotyped,  include an example of a time the interviewee was stereotyped, and discuss how poplular culture, the media, contributes to and maintains the stereotype.  We will wrap up the unit by discussing our findings in class.

ENGL 475 - Chapter 1: "The Things They Carried"

robnazar
Here is the revised ENGL 475 assignment I mentioned in Padlet.ENGL_475-Things_They_Carried_Character_Chart.docx

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

RyanMurphy
My students struggle summarizing essays. They just keep going and going. I have devised this exercise to help them get to the very core of the essay and covey this core concisely.

Summarize the essay in a single sentence. Make sure to do the following—and only the following—in your summary sentence.

1) Introduce essay, author, and main topic [What?]
2) Identify the technique(s) the author uses [How?]
3) Identify the author’s purpose in writing the essay [Why?]

Some Examples:

  In her essay, “The Ways We Lie” (1991), Stephanie Ericsson uses division and classification, examples, and narration to inform her reader about the dangers of lying.

  In his essay, “Black Men and Public Space” (1986), Brent Staples employs examples, narration and cause and effect to explain the difficulties contemporary black men face due to the assumptions of others.

  In his reflective essay, “Once More to the Lake” (1941), E.B. White uses narration, description, exemplification, process analysis and comparison and contrast to share the experience of returning as an adult to a childhood vacation spot.

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

kfriedman
This post was updated on .
Take students through an article, going through every stage of the reading process, and use that as a platform for students to write a response to the article, taking them through every stage of the writing process.

Afterwards, have a class discussion (a meta-analysis) of how the two processes are connected.

For Example:

1. Hand out “My Daughter, Myself –A Girly Girl Raising a Girl” by Sarah Sophie Flicker
         a. Make a prediction. What do you think, just based on the title, the text will be about?
        b. What do you already know about this topic? (What did you put in your free-write?)
2. Read the article to yourself.
      a. Predict
            i. As you read, assess whether your initial prediction was correct.
      b. Clarification
            i. Take notes on things you find to be important (or think might be important)
      c. Questioning
          i. Ask questions and identify places you felt confused or caused you to pause
      d. Reaction
       i. Do you agree or disagree with the piece? What is your personal reaction to the piece?
     e. Making Connections
          i. Discussion afterwards: What connections can you make to the reading?
3. Write a Response
      a. First, write a summary of the article. What is the author’s purpose?
      b. Pick an invention strategy that we discussed last class:
           i. Use that strategy to brainstorm the following question:
1. Flicker writes that she loves make-up and fashion and style, but she’s also a “feminist”. Do you think those things contradict each other the way she thinks they do? Why or why not?
     c. Draft a thesis statement based on your pre-write
4. Class Discussion (if time allows): Can you recap the process we used to read and respond to the article? What steps did we take?

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

Sean Connelly
Hi All,

Here are some possible journal or essay prompts that I am building to make connections between the reading of The Things They Carried and students' understanding of the symbolism of their own revered objects:

1. The Things You Carried

After reading the story, The Things They Carried, write an essay about your “things.” Choose your backpack, purse, car, or wallet. Describe its contents in great detail and explain the significance of those contents in your life. Narrate a lesson-learning event related to one of those carried objects.  At the resolution of your narrative, connect your carrying narrative with that of one of the soldiers in The Things They Carried.  Reflect on the similarities between
• you and the soldier
• your story and the soldier’s story
• your carried object and the soldier’s carried object
Be sure to cite page numbers when you quote from, paraphrase, or summarize from the novel.

2. Hanging on to Things = Hanging on to Ideas

Every night, one of the soldiers in The Things They Carried unfolds a letter from a young woman back home.  Write an essay about an important object that you carry or have kept even though it has no direct practical purpose for you.  What sensory experiences flood your memory when you think about it?  What does it remind you of?  What does it represent or symbolize to you?  What would it mean to you if you lost it?   What memories, ideas, or emotional states would you fear losing if you lost this object?

Be sure to cite page numbers when you quote from, paraphrase, or summarize from the novel.

Tuesdays with Morrie Reading/Writing Ideas

Meg O'Rourke
Tuesdays with Morrie Reading and Writing (Rough) Ideas

Some Reading Strategies
• SQ3R
o Look at the front cover (evaluate and make predictions)
o Read the back cover (make predictions and react/evaluate)
o Picture of Morrie (what impression of Morrie do you get from this photo? Why?)
o Table of contents (How organized? Make predictions.)
• Chapters (add skills throughout semester):
o Turn titles and headings into questions (e.g., What is the curriculum? What curriculum? Curriculum for what? Etc.)
o Make predictions
o Circle unfamiliar words
• Context clues
• Word analysis
• Inferences
o Making connections
• Does this How is this similar to classes you’ve taken? How is it different?
o Reacting and responding
• What do you think of Morrie’s advice?
⎯ Finding explicit and implicit main ideas
⎯ Finding supporting details
⎯ Writing summaries
⎯ Predicting

Reading toolbox:
⎯ Reading chart (main ideas, key quotes, vocabulary, etc.)
⎯ Summary/responses
⎯ Golden lines
⎯ Reading commentary
⎯ Videos about the author, concepts, etc.
⎯ What Would You Do? clips (?)

Writing:
⎯ Interview someone you consider wise.  Ask them for what advice they have on life. (create questions as a class together)
o Interview questions
o Interviewing skills (questions beforehand, schedule appointment, note-taking/recorder, etc.)
o What to do after the interview
⎯ “Pay it Forward”/ “Random Acts of Kindness”/”
o Reflect on a time someone has done a random act of kindness for you
o Go out and do a random act of kindness for a stranger
• What did you do?
• What was the person’s reaction?
• How do you think that act affected that person’s day?
• How do you think that will affect others (larger society)?
⎯ Create your own aphorism

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

christycda
Here is my lesson for early in the semester in English 1A. Students use a K-W-L chart and also write about examples of different types of arguments they find in everyday life.Everything_is_an_Argument_Introductory_Lessons.docx

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

stephen
I use a portfolio assignment in all my pre-transfer classes. I have the students do a lot of self evaluation writing. (meta-cognition, learning about learning) When you analyze your own learning process while you're learning, you learn more. I attached several documents that show what I do.
eng_450_portfolio_assignment_MW.docxPortfolio_Overview.docxPortfolio_Assignment_Notes.pdf

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

Jennifer O'Grady
I am going to incorporate textbook

reading strategies into the compostion

textbook reading. My students often

share that they don't remember what

they have read when they read

textbooks. They also report that they

do not know how to study a text to

prepare for a test. I am going to show

the students how to read a text and

how to prepare materials while reading

the text that can be used to prepare for

a test. For each of the four rhetorical

mode chapters (narrative, analysis, argument,

evaluation) that I assign in the textbook, I will

have the students complete a textbook reading

strategy. For example,

1. For the personal narrative chapter, I will

have each student read the chapter and prepare

five short-answer quiz questions based on the

reading from the chapter. Then in class I will break

the students into groups of four. Each student will

read his/her questions and answers. Each group

will then select the five best questions. Once each

group has selected question, the groups will quiz each

other. If the group stumps the other group, then the group

gets a point. If the group can answer the question, then the

group that answered the questions gets a point. The group

with the most points wins a small prize. This is a way for

students to actively read textbooks for other classes

because they are anticipating what material is important

and developing questions and answers. These questions

and answers can be used as a study aide before a test.

2. For the analysis chapter, I will have students outline the

entire chapter. In class I will break students into groups

and then have each student share his/her outline

with the group. I will assign a section of the book

to each group and then each group will have to

write an outline for that section utilizing their

homework outlines. Each group will write an outline

for their section on the board.

It is useful for students to learn how to

outline material and how the outline can be used to

study for a test later. Students can also learn how to utlize

outlines in their own writing.

3. For the evaluation chapter, I will have each student

turn the subject headings of each chapter into questions

and then answer the questions. This is another way for students

actively read a textbook and then use this as a study resource.

4. For the argument chapter, I will break the class into groups

and assign ten pages to each group. Each group will have to

teach the class their ten pages. This is a way to teach the

idea that if you can explain a concept to someone, then

you have a working knowledge of the idea.

For each of these ideas will show students how these

techniques can be applied to other classes. These

techniques also put the students in charge of

disseminating the information, so that I do not become

the sage on the stage. I can provide my input and

guidance, but the students drive the discussion.

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

charles williams
PREDICT   How has the emergence of digital cameras/video recorders changed our lives?  Do you have a video record feature on your phone? If so, what are some of the ways you use it?  Do we, as a society, value amateur video?  Why or why not?

CONNECT  How would you feel if vulnerable moments of your life were captured on video by a stranger and posted on YouTube and or a social media network?  What is some video footage you have seen multiple times and why did you watch it so many times?

QUESTION  Construct questions that you may regarding this text.  One such question could be why does Delillo use the second person?

CLARIFY Identify a passage within the text that you feel represents the main point Delillo is making about our fascination with watching violence along with supporting ideas?

VISUALIZE Illustrate the main point you identified in Delillo’s text, creating a visual representation of the characters in this essay/story.  This includes “you”—the viewer, your spouse, the videographer and the shooting victim.

EVALUATE After identifying his main point, state if you agree or disagree.

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

ARomero
I will assign "Reading Maps" for selected readings. This is a five-part assignment designed to serve several purposes: (1) it provides a sample of the essays on which students are working; (2) it allows me to assess students' level of engagement with the text; (3) it enhances the students' reading-writing skills as well as their critical-thinking skills; (4) it is designed to help students have a better understanding of the text; and (5) it allows them to activate all parts of the reading process (BDA) and cite, summarize, learn new vocabulary, annotate, activate prior knowledge, etc.

Re: Hi! You Can Post Your Assignments and Ideas Here!

missannette
ENGL 575

This I Believe is an international organization engaging people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives.
Assignment:
Students will read the text This I Believe: The Personal Philosophies of Remarkable Men and Women, ed. John Gregory
Students will contribute to the “This I Believe” project by writing and submitting a personal statement of belief.

Re: ENGL 475 - Chapter 1: "The Things They Carried"

Rita C. Coronado
Thanks Rob!

This gives me ideas (obviously the point, of course)

Rita Coronado